[Catalog-sig] distribute D.C. sprint tasks

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 14:55:44 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 3:57 AM, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:
>> well, I think we need more than a rsync script at some point.
>
> The question is if you want a push or pull mechanism. z3c.pypimirror
> implements the pull implementation and performs an incremental update
> in the sense of rsync in a reliable way.

You don't want a push mechanism, but you want a way to list the
mirrors at PyPI,
their states, and know if they are good mirrors or not. That is what a ping
mechanism provides.

So the point is not about being able to provide a reliable "copy of
files program",
I can use for that a "wget --mirror" or "rsync -r" and I don't need to
write a program for this.

On the other hand maybe the XML-RPC thing is a little heavy but we
sure need to know
how "fresh" a mirror is. Maybe if the last-modified header is
maintained on the mirror this could
be enough for PyPI and other third-party application to know about it.

--
Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org
Blog FR | http://programmation-python.org