[Catalog-sig] distribute D.C. sprint tasks

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 21:21:02 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 2:49 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>> FWIW, it's also the case that 4940769 hits originate from
>>> France. Could it be that you are alone responsible for 40% of
>>> the traffic on PyPI?
>>>

>> Yes, I am the only Python developer in France. That's me.
>>
>> Just kidding :)
>>
>> France has a lot of python/plone developers that triggers buildouts every day,
>> so I am pretty sure the mirrors don't make the whole traffic in PyPI.
>
> Hmm. Yesterday, there were 199250 accesses to PyPI through wget.
> Of those, 169971 requests came from a single address (from Dedibox in
> France), 28966 requests from a second one (from Sakura in Japan).

yes that is us,

we have two mirror here, one smart one (proxy with the minimum amount on call
over PyPI) and the wget one,

the second one is the wget. but the mirror option use a file listing
and a timestamping
mecanism, so the file or pages are downloaded only if they have changed.
Basically only headers are read.

I'll shut it off anyway, we have the smart collective.proxy at work
now, and will
eventually switch to the wget one to the pypimirror one if we provide
an "official" full mirror

--
Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org
Blog FR | http://programmation-python.org