[Catalog-sig] High-availability for PyPI, mirroring infrastructures?

Gude.Roland at dlr.de Gude.Roland at dlr.de
Wed Sep 3 11:26:17 CEST 2008

Hello Everybody,

I am new to this list and found the discussion about PyPI Mirrors in the
archieves.
I am working at the German Aerospace Center where I have just started
development of a PyPI mirroring solution which addresses a few issues in
QA and Continous Integration we encountered here.

For Java/maven based projects we use Sonatype-Nexus
(http://nexus.sonatype.org/)
Which solves a lot of problems there but does not help with python.

It should be able to proxy/mirror any number of package indexes (storing
all the files that have been downloaded once.)
It should be able to host multiple indexes which are available under
different urls and which may or may not restrict access to certain
users.
It should be possible to combine several mirrors and/or hosted
repositories into groups which appear to be a single repository.
It should integrate with LDAP/Activedirectory (at some time)

Anyway... the project is in early planning and will be available under
Apache License 2.0
The project has been registered at Sourceforge just yesterday
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/hatchery/)

There is nothing there yet, but hopefully that will change soon.

If you have specific features you would wish for in a mirroring/hosting
solution
Please tell me.

Discussion and participation is always welcome.

Kind regards,
Roland Gude