[Catalog-sig] HTML in long description

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Aug 31 14:09:34 CEST 2009

Hi All,

Just bumped into this discussion from the opposite end of things ;-)

I was about to come over and explicitly ask *for* html long_descriptions
since I want to have captioned literal blocks in the long_description
for a package I'm writing.

The problem is that ReST doesn't support captioned blocks, and so I'll
probably have to do it as a Sphinx extension or some such.

This then had me worried since I thought PyPI *only* supported ReST.
It would be great to be able to say "my long_description is html" and
pass a .html file to setup.py.

I think all PyPI would need is the ability to guess that the
long_description was html (starts with <html> perhaps?) and then extract
the contents of the <body> tag to use as the long description.

As far as the XSS and spam risks go, people will find ways to abuse ReST
if it's the only option, just give them time...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk