[Catalog-sig] OpenID

Gary Poster gary.poster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 16:08:16 CEST 2009

On Aug 29, 2009, at 2:45 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>>> When asked in an OpenID login box, you *don't* enter
>>> "https://launchpad.net/~gary" anymore. Instead, you just enter
>>> "https://launchpad.net" (or click on the Launchpad icon). The OpenID
>>> machinery will then steer you through the login process. You may
>>> have
>>> to confirm that you want to login into PyPI (*), but you won't
>>> have to
>>> tell anywhere explicitly that you are gary - assuming you had logged
>>> into Launchpad before.
>>>
>>> This much improved user experience is the key feature of OpenID 2.0.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Martin
>>>
>>> (*) if you had confirmed this before, you may get logged in
>>> immediately after clicking the Launchpad icon.
>>
>> Ah gotcha.  Thank you very much for the explanation.
>>
>> If you encounter any problems with using Launchpad for this, I would
>> appreciate it if you let me know.  There's a reasonable chance I'd be
>> able to help arrange a resolution.
>
> As I said before: yes, I did encounter problems - it isn't supported
> at all, AFAICT. The reference https://launchpad.net was theoretical -
> launchpad doesn't appear to support OpenID 2.0.

Hi Martin.  Very cool that you added the OpenID support to PyPI.
Thank you for this and your other PyPI work.

I have the information for Launchpad's OpenID support.  We do in fact
support OpenID 2.0.  The address to use is https://
login.launchpad.net/ .  We also meet your other requirements.

Launchpad currently only supports SREG. We do send the nickname by
default to any RP. We would need to add a RP record for PyPI and allow
it to receive email and fullname.  If you can let me know the
trust_root that you would be using for that, we can set it up.

I'll create a SourceForge bug for this now.  Thanks.

Gary