[Catalog-sig] Poll results

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Dec 1 21:53:29 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:39 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>wrote:

> The poll is now closed, with these results
>
> Allow ratings and comments on all packages (status quo) 237
> Allow package owners to disallow comments (ratings unmodified). 139
> Allow comments, but only send them to package owners (ratings
> unmodified).    33
> Disallow comments (ratings unmodified). 24
> Disallow ratings and comments (status three months ago).        88
>
> My interpretation is that the result is inconclusive. A clear majority
> does want a comment facility (in some form); another (not so clear)
> majority wants to see something changed.
>
> So it might be best to implement what appears as middle-ground,
> i.e. allow package authors to opt out of comments.
>
> Opinions?

I'm fine with that opt-out, though not opt-in (it's the packages with no one
at the wheel that most need comments).

I'd also like package authors to be able to comment (but not rate), and for
anyone to be able to comment without rating (which I've wanted to do).
 These seem like uncontroversial changes.

A perhaps more controversial change that I personally would like to see, is
that package authors be able to hide any comment on their package.  The
comment might be inaccurate, or spam, or whatever; a hidden comment could
just be visible after you click a [+] or something, not entirely censured
but made less prominent.  The Python community generally defers to
maintainers, and I believe if it deferred with respect to comments, I would
be surprised if it was abused.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |
http://topplabs.org/civichacker