[Catalog-sig] Poll results

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Tue Dec 1 22:50:33 CET 2009

In a message of Tue, 01 Dec 2009 20:39:50 +0100, "Martin v. Löwis" writes:
>The poll is now closed, with these results
>
>Allow ratings and comments on all packages (status quo)	237
>Allow package owners to disallow comments (ratings unmodified).	13
>9
>Allow comments, but only send them to package owners (ratings
>unmodified).	33
>Disallow comments (ratings unmodified).	24
>Disallow ratings and comments (status three months ago).	88
>
>My interpretation is that the result is inconclusive. A clear majority
>does want a comment facility (in some form); another (not so clear)
>majority wants to see something changed.
>
>So it might be best to implement what appears as middle-ground,
>i.e. allow package authors to opt out of comments.
>
>Opinions?
>
>Regards,
>Martin

There are seven states that could have been represented had you
designed this poll.  1 is 'mail comments back to the owners only'
the other 3 states are

for ratings, comments:
    would you like them to be a) mandatory
			      b) opt-in/out at the package owners request
			      c) prohibited/non-existant

Had you oranised the poll this way, you would have found me in the
'ratings prohibited/comments opt-in' camp.  So, of course I think
that allowing package authors to opt-out is a good idea.

But I think that getting rid of the ratings is is also important.

Laura