[Catalog-sig] Poll results

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Dec 2 11:08:20 CET 2009

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> The poll is now closed, with these results
>
> Allow ratings and comments on all packages (status quo)	237
> Allow package owners to disallow comments (ratings unmodified).	139
> Allow comments, but only send them to package owners (ratings
> unmodified).	33
> Disallow comments (ratings unmodified).	24
> Disallow ratings and comments (status three months ago).	88
>
> My interpretation is that the result is inconclusive. A clear majority
> does want a comment facility (in some form); another (not so clear)
> majority wants to see something changed.
>
> So it might be best to implement what appears as middle-ground,
> i.e. allow package authors to opt out of comments.
>
> Opinions?

Same as before the poll:

1. Add comment opt-in/opt-out for authors
2. Add rating opt-in/opt-out for authors
3. Disallow anonymous ratings, i.e. show the rating given by
   a user

and some more as a result of all the discussion around the poll:

4. Allow comment without rating
5. Allow rating without comment

With those features, package authors can implement most of the
poll's options, except for the "only send comments to authors"
which I find a bit strange, since the package pages already
list an email address for this purpose.

That said, I still believe that this whole comment and rating
system on PyPI is not very helpful. The needed developer and
admin time to maintain such a system is better invested
elsewhere.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 02 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/