[Catalog-sig] New fields in the Metadata for PyPI

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Dec 2 18:28:27 CET 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> Hello
>
> As suggested here, then discussed at Distutils-SIG,  I would like to
> propose the addition of two more fields for the
> upcoming Metadata 1.2 (PEP 345) that could be used at PyPI on projects pages.
>
> "Repository-Browse-URL"
>     A string containing the URL for the package's browsable
> repository. It can be any url of the repository
>     (trunk, branch, tags) as long as it can be browsed from a web browser.
>
>   Example:
>      http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk
>
> "Bug-Tracker-URL"
>   A string containing the URL for the package's bug tracker.
>
>   Example:
>      http://bugs.python.org/
>

> Other fields were proposed, but were controversial.

The only controversial ones were Change-Log-URL and, at a push,
Documentation-URL (although it was only you who even queried that ;-),
so why have Repository-URL and Mailing-List-URL been abandoned?

None of these are mandatory, and I don't see what harm could be done. I
*do* see a *lot* of good that could be done if all of the ones under
discussion were added.

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk