[Catalog-sig] New fields in the Metadata for PyPI

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Dec 2 18:43:20 CET 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> Hello
>
> As suggested here, then discussed at Distutils-SIG,  I would like to
> propose the addition of two more fields for the
> upcoming Metadata 1.2 (PEP 345) that could be used at PyPI on projects pages.
>
> "Repository-Browse-URL"
>     A string containing the URL for the package's browsable
> repository. It can be any url of the repository
>     (trunk, branch, tags) as long as it can be browsed from a web browser.
>
>   Example:
>      http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk
>
> "Bug-Tracker-URL"
>   A string containing the URL for the package's bug tracker.
>
>   Example:
>      http://bugs.python.org/
>

> Other fields were proposed, but were controversial. You can follow the
> latest discussions at distutils-sig about them,
>
> If these fields are added, PyPI could display those links and offer a
> standard way for end users to interact with the projects
> maintainers, besides the "comment/rating" feature.

While more structured meta-data is generally better than less,
I wonder why we have to add URLs for all these things.

The home page of a project will usually provide the URLs
in some form already and if there is no home page, the
long description can be used.

A valid argument for the duplication would be to provide the user
with faster and more standardized access to those resources.
OTOH, they don't really mean anything for computerized consumption.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 02 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/