[Catalog-sig] New fields in the Metadata for PyPI

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Dec 2 18:51:26 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> The only controversial ones were Change-Log-URL and, at a push,
> Documentation-URL (although it was only you who even queried that ;-), so
> why have Repository-URL and Mailing-List-URL been abandoned?

I didn't notice Documentation-URL in the discussion.  I would like
that, I frequently have a hard time finding a link to a project's
documentation.

I objected to Repository-URL because it was unclear what function it
served.  A URL alone is not sufficient to check out a project.  A
"checkout command" would be more useful, but didn't seem enough
useful.

I'd like to see how the PyPI UI works out.  I can also imagine a more
extensible setup, like:

Project-URLs: documentation=http://myproject.org/docs/
    repository=http://myproject.org/svn/

And then display those in some simple structured way.  The text is the
text of the anchor, nothing more, nothing less.  Automated tools might
find it hard to parse these, and it's possible some people would
choose "docs" instead of "documentation".  But you could add blog, or
twitter, or tracker, or forum, or IRC, etc.  I doubt it would get too
chaotic.

With respect to Marc-Andre's response: I think there's some value in
normalizing the presentation of projects.  CPAN is really a rather
extreme example of this.  I personally have a hard time finding some
of these links in many projects.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |  http://topplabs.org/civichacker