[Catalog-sig] New fields in the Metadata for PyPI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Dec 2 22:53:54 CET 2009

> But the project always wants to display the newest urls.

Not at all. For some projects, it's more important to be conscious about
documentation versions than for others. For example

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/

asks you to make an explicit choice of version, and the URLs reflect
that. Likewise,

http://java.sun.com/javase/reference/api.jsp

asks you to select the version (even though more versions are available
than listed there).

For Python, it somewhat unfortunate that there is a tradition of
"newest documentation". When the documentation format changed, many
URLs broke - something that would not have happened when all URLs
had been versioned.

For another example,

http://docs.djangoproject.com/

defaults to the development version of the docs (through redirects), but
also has documentation sets for each release.

So if the PKG-INFO for Django 1.2 (say) would include a documentation
URL, I would expect that the Django authors want that to point to the
Django 1.2 documentation.

> IOW, if PyPI display only keeps the latest home page for the project,
> and the latest urls

But it doesn't: e.g.

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyUMLGraph

displays all non-hidden versions of the package. It defaults to the
most recent version only if all other versions are marked as hidden.

> that should be enough for all projects : they can point in their own
> documentation to older documentation.

I'm not sure package authors would like that.