[Catalog-sig] New fields in the Metadata for PyPI

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Dec 3 21:43:01 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 2:21 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> I'd like to see how the PyPI UI works out.  I can also imagine a more
>> extensible setup, like:
>>
>> Project-URLs: documentation=http://myproject.org/docs/
>>     repository=http://myproject.org/svn/
>
> I think this also points to an important detail: are they per package,
> or per release?

Discussion has continued a bit, but my $0.02.  It seems easiest to
implement per-release, as everything else we have is per-release
(except, I suppose, the project name itself).  Personally I only
submit packages through "setup.py register" which is naturally
per-release; making it per-package would either mean conflating it
with per-release via the register command, or setting up some other
interface.

I think it would be generally useful if old releases included a
warning in the PyPI interface (some prominent box that said "This is
an old release! The newest release is <a href="X.Y">X.Y</a>").  It's
actually pretty easy to get unintentionally to an old release via
search engines.  I think a warning would mitigate this problem and
others.

> It may seem irrelevant, as it shouldn't hurt when they are per release
> (so what?) - but it does: when you change the bug tracker, will it
> retroactively also change for all past releases?

It would be nice (as per-release bug trackers seem quite unlikely) but
I doubt it will be a big problem in practice.  If you change bug
trackers you should probably make the old link point to the new one
anyway; PyPI is hardly the only link to the old bug tracker that will
linger.

Tarek mentioned a problem with installers and old links (which is a
problem), but this is only for links that show up in the /simple/
interface, and I don't think any of these links should be presented
there.  Writing an installer, I don't *want* /simple/ to get any more
links than it already has.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |  http://topplabs.org/civichacker