[Catalog-sig] Troubled by changes to PyPI usage agreement

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 16:43:42 CET 2009

On Dec 4, 2009, at 4:42 AM, Ben Finney wrote:

> The new wording is one that I can't agree to:
>
> =====
> […]
> +             <li>Content is restricted to Python packages and
> related information only.</li>
> +             <li>Any content uploaded to PyPI is provided on a non-
> confidential basis.</li>
> +             <li>The PSF is free to use or disseminate any content
> that I upload on an
> +               unrestricted basis for any purpose. In particular,
> the PSF and all other
> +               users of the web site are granted an irrevocable,
> worldwide, royalty-free,
> +               nonexclusive license to reproduce, distribute,
> transmit, display, perform,
> +               and publish the content, including in digital form.</
> li>
> +             <li>I represent and warrant that I have complied with
> all government
> +               regulations […]
> =====
>
> The content that I submit to PyPI is licensed under specific license
> terms. That certainly does *not* allow the PSF to “use or disseminate
> any content that I upload on an unrestricted basis for any purpose”,
> etc.; it allows only those acts permitted by the license terms granted
> in the work.

We have to grant the PSF the rights to distribute the files if we're
uploading them to be hosted on PyPI.  Does the new wording imply that
we're licensing the use of that code under those terms, or just
granting distribution rights the file containing the code?  It feels
like the latter, but I don't know how the word "perform" is
interpreted in this context.

Doug