[Catalog-sig] Poll results

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Fri Dec 4 20:50:53 CET 2009

In a message of Fri, 04 Dec 2009 17:49:16 GMT, Chris Withers writes:
>Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> I think what Laura wants is different: she doesn't want package owners
>> to be able to opt out of ratings (for their own sake), but the feature
>> be removed altogether, for the sake of users which she considers misled
>> by ratings (IIUC).
>
>Yes, but given the choice between:
>
>- having ratings are they are now
>- allowing ratings to be turned off by the package manager
>
>I'd put money on which option Laura would choose...
>
>Chris

Martin is correct in knowing what I really want, but Chris is also correct that
given the choice between forcing everybody to have them, and allowing people to
opt-out, I'd go with allowing people to opt out.

Laura

ps - it is not the users who will be mislead that are my prime concern here.  It is
the package submitters who will be unfairly rated, and all of us who will be submitted to
whatever acrimony that a rating system produces, and all of us who won't find
interesting packages because those people who write them don't care to be rated, and
will avoid PyPI rather than submit to such a thing.