[Catalog-sig] Troubled by changes to PyPI usage agreement

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 16:32:36 CET 2009

On Dec 5, 2009, at 8:06 PM, Ben Finney wrote:

> Doug Hellmann <doug.hellmann at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> We have to grant the PSF the rights to distribute the files if we're
>> uploading them to be hosted on PyPI.
>
> Since the works are free software (IIUC, non-free works are not
> allowed
> to be uploaded to PyPI), then the PSF *has* rights to distribute the
> files.
>
> The new “usage agreement” wording is asserting much more than that,
> though.

There's a distinction between the permission granted to distribute the
files and meta-data that make up the software cataloged on PyPI and
the license under which that same source code can be used in a project.

The way I read the agreement, I'm giving the PSF permission to
distribute my meta-data and code, not to use the code itself.  Is that
right, Van?

Doug