[Catalog-sig] [PSF-Board] Troubled by changes to PyPI usage agreement

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Dec 9 19:08:49 CET 2009

Steve Holden, Chairman, PSF wrote:
> Adding a Google-like clause might make us seem less Draconian.

Here's a proposal for a less controversial text based on the Google
terms:

"""
PyPI is a service provided by the PSF. In order to be able to distribute the content you upload to
PyPI to web site users, the PSF asks you to agree to and affirmatively acknowledge the following:

1. Content is restricted to Python packages and related information only.

2. Any content uploaded to PyPI is provided on a non-confidential basis.

3. The PSF is granted an irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, nonexclusive license to reproduce,
distribute, transmit, display, perform, and publish the content, including in digital form. This
licence is for the sole purpose of enabling the PSF to display, distribute and promote the content
on PyPI.

4. I represent and warrant that I have complied with all government regulations concerning the
transfer or export of any content I upload to the PyPI servers in The Netherlands. In particular, if
I am subject to United States law, I represent and warrant that I have obtained the proper
governmental authorization for the export of the content I upload. I further affirm that any content
I provide is not intended for use by a government end-user as defined in part 772 of the United
States Export Administration Regulations.
"""

The general terms on the python.org legal page would have to be
changed in the same way.

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 09 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/