[Catalog-sig] Proposal: export PKG-INFO to the PyPI /simple tree

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Dec 25 23:32:19 CET 2009

> In the interests of making it easier to mirror package data consistently
> with the uploaded package files, could we add to PyPI the feature that
> it would save a version-stamped copy of the PKG-INFO file (as read
> during registration) to the project's directory underneath /simple?

Can you please give an explicit example of what exact URL should return
what exact data. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm not sure what
precisely it is what you want.

> Folks who mirrored that tree using rsync could then write tools to
> rebuild the index without requiring any extension to the PyPI XML-RPC
> API to support mirroring.

No, they couldn't:
a) there is no rsync server on pypi, and
b) /simple does not exist on disk

However, they *could* mirror it then with wget (although wget is known
to have created quite some load on PyPI in the past).