[Catalog-sig] Finalising PEP-345 - Requires-Python

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Dec 31 03:10:04 CET 2009

David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> writes:

> > Requires-Python: 2.5
> > Requires-Python: >2.1
> > Requires-Python: >=2.3.4
> > Requires-Python: >=2.5,<2.7
>
> I think most untrained readers, would find the ">=2.5,<2.7" notation
> to be non-obvious and ambiguous.
>
> The shortest known method to express the condition is
> "Requires-Python: 2.5:2.7"

Again, it's a poor assumption that the dependency specifications will be
read as though they follow the rules of Python syntax. The colon doesn't
obviously mean what you're wanting it to mean in that context. Please
lose the Python-language bias when assessing these issues.

--
 \      “Shepherds … look after their sheep so they can, first, fleece |
  `\   them and second, turn them into meat. That's much more like the |