[Catalog-sig] Package comments

Jannis Leidel jannis at leidel.info
Tue Nov 3 14:02:39 CET 2009

Am 27.10.2009 um 21:32 schrieb Martin v. Löwis:

> Some package maintainers are unhappy with the recent addition
> of a rating-and-comment facility in PyPI; they don't want to
> see user comments on their package page (the rating itself
> is not being challenged, AFAIU).

For the record, I *did* question the rating feature on this list and
still think it's inappropriate for a package index. As are the comments.

> At the same time, I believe that users very much want to see
> comments on a package page, telling them whether the package
> is useful or not (in particular if it has received low ratings).
>
> As it is difficult to get the community opinion on this particular
> issue, I plan to hold a poll. In preparation for that, I started
> collecting arguments for both sides on
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPIComments
>
> Feel free to add arguments that you think are missing in these
> lists; please refrain from removing arguments (even if you think
> they are flawed).

Since you mentioned on the SourceForge ticket (https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=513503&aid=2872293&group_id=66150
) that one reason why comments were implemented is because many people
requested it:

I hereby request the feature to be able to selectively disable
comments for my PyPI packages.

FWIW, I think Jacob's proposal in the ticket above is worth
considering: "allow package owners to disable comments, but only if
they provide a link to an alternate forum".

Jannis