[Catalog-sig] Package comments

John Gabriele jmg3000 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 19:23:11 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 12:08 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Jannis Leidel wrote:
>> Am 27.10.2009 um 21:32 schrieb Martin v. Löwis:
>>
>>> Some package maintainers are unhappy with the recent addition
>>> of a rating-and-comment facility in PyPI; they don't want to
>>> see user comments on their package page (the rating itself
>>> is not being challenged, AFAIU).
>>
>> For the record, I *did* question the rating feature on this list and
>> still think it's inappropriate for a package index. As are the comments.
>
> Ah, ok. So would you also put that on a public poll?

> [snip]
> I'd like to propose yet another compromise: let the package author
> indicate that they dislike seeing comments, but allow them posting
> of comments if they decide to, anyway. What do you think?

I added a "Poll" section to the end of
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPIComments which lists some choices that
might be available in such a poll.

Martin, if I understand correctly, you're proposing adding a feature
where package maintainers may allow/disallow individual comments
(possibly as a spam-prevention measure?), so I listed that also among
the possible voting choices.

Thanks,
---John