[Catalog-sig] Package comments

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Nov 3 19:41:30 CET 2009

> I added a "Poll" section to the end of
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPIComments which lists some choices that
> might be available in such a poll.
>
> Martin, if I understand correctly, you're proposing adding a feature
> where package maintainers may allow/disallow individual comments
> (possibly as a spam-prevention measure?)

Not really - I didn't mean to propose something like that. Instead,
I would merely add to the comment box a text "the maintainer has asked
that comments are made <elsewhere>".

, so I listed that also among
> the possible voting choices.

Thanks for the list. I think the options are fairly difficult to parse,
so I would probably formulate them more shortly, e.g.

- ratings and comments on all packages
- maintainer can opt-out of comments (but not out of ratings)
- a)
- no comments (but keep ratings)
- neither ratings nor comments
- b)

a) see above; this option can probably go
b) this probably is "allow private comments (sent to author only)"
   it's an option, but it would imply that the commenter's email
   address is revealed to the package author (which it currently is
   not)

In any case, I think it's good to collect the questions up-front;
people who miss options should add them.