[Catalog-sig] Package comments

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Nov 4 07:13:16 CET 2009

P.J. Eby wrote:
> At 10:49 PM 11/3/2009 +0100, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> Telling them to use the tracker is, IMO, depriving them of
>> their right to explain their evaluation of the package; a bug tracker is
>> not an adequate means for that.
>
> No, but their personal blog(s) are a wonderfully available and
> appropriate place for them to do so...  assuming that one believes that
> this "right" exists in the first place.

Hmm. Then why do we need PyPI in the first place, if all people could
learn about the Python packages from the blogs of the package authors?

> After all, if the general public has a "right" to make such comments,
> then the download page of Python.org should allow similarly unmoderated
> comments, and disallow any Python developer from deleting those
> comments.   (That would be "censorship", after all.)

And indeed, we have that: wiki.python.org. Except for deletion of
spam, no censorship is applied.

> Microsoft's
> Windows Update webpage should likewise be open to comment, as should
> Apple's iTunes page.  That would really help other users!  (Not.)

I'm in no position to control what Microsoft does. As for Apple,
the appstore does (I hear) have such a feature. I'm not an iTunes
user, so I can't comment whether it is similar to a software repository
or not.

> Cleaning off graffiti is not censorship.

And I'm in favor of deleting spam (i.e. comments that are clearly
unrelated to the package - as graffiti is clearly unrelated to
the place where it gets attached).