[Catalog-sig] Please help me use PyPI

Ram Rachum cool-rr at cool-rr.com
Tue Nov 17 18:42:41 CET 2009

Hi all,

I'm trying to release my project to PyPI today.

I have three problems:

(1.) I have 4 different forks for my project for Python versions 2.4, 2.5, 2.6
and 3.1. Should they all be on the same name in PyPI?

(2.) I'm trying to upload an MSI. I'm doing `setup.py bdist_msi register
upload`. It builds the project and the setup script finishes, but then I get:

    error: garlicsim-0.1: No such file or directory

And no .msi file is uploaded to PyPi. Why?

(3.) I tried uploading my 2.5 fork. It asks me to identify, I do, it gives an OK
response (which doesn't happen unless the identification is right), but then it
claims I didn't identify! Why?

    [...]
    removing 'build\bdist.win32\egg' (and everything under it)
    running register
    We need to know who you are, so please choose either:
     1. use your existing login,
     2. register as a new user,
     3. have the server generate a new password for you (and email it to you),
or
     4. quit
    Your selection [default 1]:  1
    Username: coolRR
    Password:
    Server response (200): OK
    running upload
    Submitting dist\garlicsim-0.1.zip to http://pypi.python.org/pypi
    Upload failed (401): You must be identified to edit package information
    removing 'build' (and everything under it)
    error: garlicsim-0.1: No such file or directory

Thanks,
Ram.