[Catalog-sig] Package Quality Measurement for packages on Pypi

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 21:33:27 CET 2009

On 2009-11-18 13:32 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> David Lyon wrote:
>>> (cut from python-dev)
>>> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 01:14:54 +0100, "Martin v. Löwis"
>> <martin at v.loewis.de>

>>> Apparently, there is a service running somewhere that computes
>>> cheesecake
>>
>>> data for PyPI packages;
>>> it also sends them to PyPI. People have expressed to concerns that any
>>> kind of ranking based on kwalitee sounds fairly useless.
>
> I would like to see something like
> Cheesecake rating NNN/MMM
> where the rating links to the full report so I can decide whether the
> missed points are things I am concerned about or not.

Personally, I don't want to see any aggregates of incommensurable observations
ever. I don't mind seeing a dashboard of individual observations (even if I
disagree with many of the individual measurements), but aggregating them with
arbitrary weights into a single score is simply wrong. I disagree with including
user ratings, too, for much the same reasons.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco