[Catalog-sig] Extending the package meta-data with more detailed download information

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Nov 23 11:51:39 CET 2009

> As mentioned in the original email, the use case is to have
> PyPI list download information for all distribution files
> of a package together with a set of details that allow automatic
> selection of a file for installation by a package manager
> tool.

That's the description of the feature. I still don't understand
who would be using the feature, and in what way.

> I'd like to extend PyPI to also provide support for listing
> files on other servers as well as making it possible for
> the package manager tools to automatically select the right
> installation file for the intended target platform.

In such a scenario, how do people get the files onto the server?
Will they typically know the URLs of the files upfront?

ISTM that it would be better to be able to add new such URLs one
by one, e.g. through a web form.

> To enhance the user experience we were thinking about providing
> a tool to automate the whole process. However, if PIP can
> provide this functionality based on the extended distribution
> file information, we'd rather point our users to PIP.

If the use case is automated download, I think the list of
properties should be restricted to the set of properties relevant
for that use case.