[Catalog-sig] Package comments

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Oct 27 21:32:06 CET 2009

Some package maintainers are unhappy with the recent addition
of a rating-and-comment facility in PyPI; they don't want to
see user comments on their package page (the rating itself
is not being challenged, AFAIU).

At the same time, I believe that users very much want to see
comments on a package page, telling them whether the package
is useful or not (in particular if it has received low ratings).

As it is difficult to get the community opinion on this particular
issue, I plan to hold a poll. In preparation for that, I started
collecting arguments for both sides on

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPIComments

Feel free to add arguments that you think are missing in these
lists; please refrain from removing arguments (even if you think
they are flawed).