[Catalog-sig] simple index and urls exracted from metadata text fields

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 23:47:30 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:21 PM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 03:50 PM 9/11/2009 +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> 2009/9/11 P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>:
>> >
>> > The attribute already exists: rel="download" and rel="homepage"; if
>> > there's
>> > no 'rel' it's from the description.
>> >
>> > I'm rather surprised you don't know these things already, since they're
>> > all
>> > rather prominently documented as part of easy_install's "index API"
>> > here:
>> >
>> >   http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#package-index-api
>>
>> Because that's setuptools documentation, not PyPI's.
>
> Which is why I was (and am still) surprised you haven't read it.

I don't know who told you I didn't read it. (unless you're making a
joke of course ;) )

That's a "PEAK Developer center" website page that was not
updated for years AFAIK. I have read that page many times, but that
doesn't means that
PyPI still complies exactly like what this page says. (and nothing says so)

PyPI continues to evolve, unlike the Peak developer center (and the
code it documents),
so the only valid source of information about how PyPI works is this
Mailing list and its
current maintainer Martin.

And having it documented in the python.org documentation is, ihmo,
something we need to do, so it can evolve with it.

I hope you're OK if I copy (and add the missing bits) this text
section into distutils
documentation in a PyPI page ?