[Catalog-sig] simple index and urls exracted from metadata text fields

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Sep 12 02:43:46 CEST 2009

At 11:47 PM 9/11/2009 +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:21 PM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> >> Because that's setuptools documentation, not PyPI's.
> >
> > Which is why I was (and am still) surprised you haven't read it.
>
>I don't know who told you I didn't read it. (unless you're making a
>joke of course ;) )

You earlier stated that easy_install "might try to visit urls the
author just put there in his description text".  This is not a
statement of someone who has read and understood EasyInstall's documentation.

>That's a "PEAK Developer center" website page that was not
>updated for years AFAIK.

It's also an SVN-controlled text file, EasyInstall.txt, which is
found in the root of both the setuptools trunk and branch - a file
that is automatically updated on the wiki whenever an 0.6 branch
release is cut -- as you would know if you'd read the release.sh
script before it was deleted from your fork of setuptools.

>I have read that page many times, but that
>doesn't means that
>PyPI still complies exactly like what this page says.

My comments have not been about PyPI; they've been about incorrect
statements made regarding the behavior of easy_install.  That being
said, you didn't ask Martin whether PyPI still complied with that
API, implying that you were entirely unaware of it.

>(and nothing says so)

That's not actually true, either; see:

   http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopDev

where you will find a link to the PEAK page...  and a history that
indicates Martin has at least read the page once or twice.  ;-)  (At
any rate, he's edited it before.)

>I hope you're OK if I copy (and add the missing bits) this text
>section into distutils
>documentation in a PyPI page ?

I suspect that what you actually want is to document the API provided
by PyPI, rather than the API expected by easy_install, but if it
helps you as a starting point, go for it.