[Catalog-sig] Rating feature

Sridhar Ratnakumar sridharr at activestate.com
Wed Sep 16 23:35:06 CEST 2009

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:29:31 -0700, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk>
wrote:

> Sridhar Ratnakumar wrote:
> 1) Why would one be interested in knowing different ratings for each and
> every minor version?
>  Because some release are better than others.

Yet, the various minor versions may not differ (and thus not significantly
better or worse than on another) much, do they? I mean .. CherryPy-2.x and
CherryPy-3.x do have a lot of differences (like Jinja and Jinja2), but
there may not be much different in CherryPy-3.1.1 and CherryPy-3.1.2.

>  2) If I want to find the rating of CherryPy - as a whole - where should
> I go?
>  An overview of the ratings for the current and past releases compared
> *would* be a nice-to-have...

Yes. If PyPI is going to have release-specific ratings, I suggest that
each PyPI page (distname-version) show two rating bars:

a) release rating (logged-in user editable)
b) overall rating (averaged from all release ratings)

The feature in overall is nice .. and can have some UI help from
http://www.fyneworks.com/jquery/star-rating/

-srid