[Catalog-sig] Rating feature

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Sep 18 09:33:07 CEST 2009

> "important" no, better yes ;)
>
> If you want people to *see* the rating of packages like zc.buildout,
> you have to make it visible when the page loads.
>
> that's a basic principle of ergonomics and its doesn't cost anything.

It does cost something, in terms of ergonomics: it costs valuable page
space.

> That's basically because it's the only part of a release screen that is going
> to change often (the rating of a given release) shouldn't require scrolling.

I think that theory (that the rating will change often) still needs to
be proven in practice.

> Look at Sphinx page. Where's the rating ? I don't see it unless I scroll
> (in my regular macbook)
>
> That's no big deal of course, but having at the left of the package
> name at the top
> would be nicer to check the rating at a glimpse.

Ah - so that is the rationale - this is about self-esteem (so that you
as a package author can see how your rating evolves).

I'm waiting for other people to comment on this question. So far, it
is one in favor of top posting (you), and two against (Georg and me).