[Catalog-sig] Rating feature

René Dudfield renesd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 11:48:11 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> René Dudfield wrote:
>>
>> Just leave them there?  I don't think authors should be able to delete
>> bad reviews.
>
> That's not the point, the point is spam and crappy comments, both of which
> are much more likely than a reviewer deleting a review they don't like...
>
> The last thing I want is to have all the package pages on PyPI become
> semi-blogs with long threads of comments where people end up answering other
> peoples comments, etc, etc.
>
> Ratings I like, comments I don't. I can tolerate comments if I can at least
> hoover them off my own packages.
>
> Maybe a per-package option to disable comments? I would be fine to have
> something shown that says "This evil package doesn't want to let you comment
> on it" is that would make you happier ;-)
>
> Chris

hi,

Calling packages evil does make me happier :)  hehe.   Well, I have no
objection about disabling comments if the author wants it.

People getting their questions answered is a good thing, so is
allowing authors to connect to users.  Comments on the packages make
both of those easier.

Perhaps bug report links, and mailing list links would be good, so as
to get people commenting in the right place?  However not all packages
have mailing lists or issue trackers.

cu,