[Catalog-sig] Rating feature

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Sep 24 21:32:28 CEST 2009

>> As per multiple requests, I have now added a feature where users
>> can rate packages. If you have any comments, please let me know
>> (if they are change requests, preferably by means of bug reports).
>
> As we can see from the rating on
>
>   http://pypi.python.org/pypi/hgsvn
>
> people are not using the rating feature correctly -- PyPI's not a bug
> tracker after all.  (I can't comment on whether the traceback is a
> real bug or a usage problem.)

I'm not so sure it is incorrect usage. The hgsvn page doesn't provide
a home page or bug tracker URL.

> Also, several people (like Jacob from Django) expressed a strong dislike
> for the rating system in the current form.

Where can I read about that?

> It is perhaps best to disable
> rating again until the system is developed further and gets more features,
> like admin of ratings.  (I'm not suggesting you do it, Martin, if someone
> cares enough they should.)

I implemented the feature after multiple requests, and it took me some
time, so I'm not really willing to give up so easily.

So far, no feature requests or bug reports against that feature have
been made in the PyPI bug tracker. So people apparently don't see
a pressing need for change.