[Catalog-sig] Rating feature

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 21:48:31 CEST 2009

On Sep 24, 2009, at 3:32 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> So far, no feature requests or bug reports against that feature have
> been made in the PyPI bug tracker. So people apparently don't see
> a pressing need for change.

This is a good example of a limitation of having comments in the
"wrong" place.  Just as you want feedback through the bug tracker
instead of on this mailing list, I don't want yet another place I have
to look for bug reports and support requests against the packages I
maintain.

I interact with PyPI mostly through distutils (i.e., not the web
interface).  I'm not likely to see questions or bug reports in
comments on the PyPI pages for my packages unless the system pushes
them to me.  On the other hand, since I wrote most of the content on
those pages readers are likely to assume I do have control over all
aspects of the page and *will* see their requests for help.

I'm +0 on the numerical rankings, but I'm worried that appearing to be
unresponsive to written user feedback is going to have a negative
impact on the image for any projects I list on PyPI (note: that's
"list" not "host" -- I host my own projects elsewhere, complete with
comments, bug trackers, and sometimes mailing lists).

Can we have a compromise solution that allows a project owner to
optionally close comments but leaves the numerical ranking in place?

Doug