[Catalog-sig] simple index and urls exracted from metadata text fields

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Sep 24 22:17:44 CEST 2009

> Is there a reason the simple version of the API needs to include links
> from the descriptions of any old versions of the package?  Eliminating
> links from all old/hidden package descriptions would I think solve this
> (except for links explicitly for downloads, which are generally
> versioned and okay).

They are included because Jim Fulton said they ought to be included.
More precisely, the spec for the simple API was this:
- place all links on a single page, for all versions, to reduce the
number of roundtrips
- per version, include the links from the metadata, plus any links from
the description.

I'm not sure what would break if I change not, nor do I understand what
"#egg=virtualenv-dev" does.

I fail to see your problem, though: if you move the source repository
to a different URL, and just break the old URLs to return an HTTP error,
wouldn't that be sufficient?