[Catalog-sig] PEP 345 Update

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Aug 23 05:28:29 CEST 2010

At 04:09 AM 8/23/2010 +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>The fields descriptions are quite clear, Obsoletes is useful for reorganizing
>softwares into different releases names, whereas Conflicts marks a release
>to be incompatible with another one,

If that's the case, then it should suffice to explain in the PEP that
the intent of this field is for an author/owner to describe
reorganization of their own software, rather than for one package to
claim that it's a replacement for another.

Without that explanation the intent of the field is not clear --
especially for people coming from backgrounds where that field would
have distribution-official status, i.e. the field *would* be being
set by a trusted party.

>the PEP is about the metadata, not the softwares that will implement it.

Which is why I've found the previous package metadata PEPs to be
pretty useless: they described fields in the abstract without much
concrete semantics.  And thus, they were not worth writing software
to parse, most of the time.

To put it another way, without suggested semantics, people will put
whatever they feel like in the fields, because they likewise have no
idea of how the information will be used, or what the consequences of
entering that information will be.

In short: if it's not going to be used, why have it?  And if it *is*
going to be used, why leave the semantics undefined?