[Catalog-sig] PEP 345 Update

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Aug 23 19:02:19 CEST 2010

At 03:37 PM 8/23/2010 +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>This will never happen: the installer will stop and just state that
>there's a conflict
>and the installation cannot continue.

What I was trying to point out is that if this is the
intended/suggested use of the field, then the PEP should say so.

That way, when somebody writing software is looking at the PEP, they
will see explicit guidance that it's not intended to cause the
removal of (or prevent the installation/re-installation of) the
"obsoleted" package.

However, I'm still not clear on why "obsoletes" should be treated as
a conflict; if it's conflicting, then why not just *also* say it's
conflicting via the Conflicts fieled?

In other words, Obsoletes seems like something purely informational,
rather than something a tool should consume.

That being said, I really just want the intent (whatever that may be)
to be stated clearly in the PEP, rather than being left as an
assumption for the reader to guess.