[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] packaging terminology confusion

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Jan 7 22:51:43 CET 2010

Tarek Ziadé wrote:

>> +1
>>
>> If this gets general agreement, there are probably some places where
>> the word 'package' should be replaced with the word 'project', right?
>> For example, should PEP-345 be retitled as "Metadata for Python
>> Software Projects 1.2" ?
>
> +1, we should reflect this terminology in all new PEPs and in
> Distutils doc as well

I don't think we need to change anything - most Python software
components come as Python packages nowadays, so the terminology
'package' we've used all these years is correct.

OTOH, sets of components like Zope are indeed projects. However,
the number of PyPI packages which could reasonably be called a project
is relatively small and even those use Python packages to
separate their namespaces.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 07 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/