[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] packaging terminology confusion

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Mon Jan 11 01:57:07 CET 2010

Hi Glyph,

> It sure would be nice if we could use a made-up word like "eggs" to refer
> to these things.  Too bad that's taken too :-\.

Yes.

"eggs" is the best name anybody could hope for to describe a package. It
already has general acceptance to a large degree amongst users (despite
it's faults).

Even Tarek has adopted it by forking setuptools. Tarek has complete say on
the direction of the .EGG

What needs to be done is for a decision to occur to either kill or revive
the "egg" in 2010.

Let's either fix them, or kill them. Fixing the "egg" means that Tarek has
to "evolve" Distribute. Which is well within his power. Killing them means
taking the egg references out of existing peps and packages and pypi and
starting again. That's also possible.

As a regular developer, I'd call for a "L'Oeuf incredible". Excuse my bad
french. A new egg to replace all the bad old eggs.

We need more simplicity in packaging in python..

"eggs" are cool. They're simple. They're what users want. They're what
pypi needs.

I just don't know why it is that there is such a big desire in python-core
to chuck out the fun and simple and try to replace it with complicated and
confusing. It's so *not* monty python..

If the eggs are going to be thrown out... chuck those forkers out. But I
think it would be a big mistake.

David