[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] packaging terminology confusion

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Tue Jan 12 01:09:53 CET 2010

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> Do you mean, change the general name of these packaged up things from
> "distributions" to "eggs"?

What I mean is that the egg concept abstracts all the packaging
details from the user extremely well.

If a user gets told that all python packages come as python
eggs, they just accept that and move on.

If we could move to a position (slowly) whereby we had all
packages as .egg files, that would make life simpler for
users. It is less choices.

> So, we'd generically refer to, say,
> "CheesyComestible-1.2.3.tgz" as an egg?

No.

Just "CheesyComestible-1.2.3.egg"

Eliminate : CheesyComestible-1.2.3.zip CheesyComestible-1.2.3.exe
CheesyComestible-1.2.3.tar.gz CheesyComestible-1.2.3.bz2

Unneccessary and confusing.

> What term would you use to refer specifically to a ".egg" file?

Just "Python Egg".

David