[Catalog-sig] PyPI down?

ssteinerX@gmail.com ssteinerx at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 23:01:46 CET 2010

On Jan 12, 2010, at 4:30 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> Is it being considered as the starting point, or not?
>
> Not by me, no. I think meta-data mirroring is completely pointless in order to achieve PEP 381's objective.

I don't quite understand that statement; the meta-data is part of the mirror.  z3c.pypimirror doesn't just mirror meta-data anyway, it does a full mirror (sort of).

If z3c.pypimirror is not the starting point then is there a different implementation that will be used as a 'jumpstart'?  The mirroring protocol is "XXX Need to describe the protocol here." and z3c.pypimirror is mentioned in the only other sentence within that section.

> Read the PEP, it specifies fairly clearly what exactly needs to be mirrored.

I have read it.  I'm mirroring the meta-data in order to make an easy way for tools that want to pull the meta-data to do it without beating the crap out of the xmlrpc interface on pypi.  This little project came out of a discussion on distutils around December 27th-30th.  (http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2009-December/015178.html, http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2009-December/015177.html).

I was asking because I thought it would be smart to just use and possibly improve the "sample code" for PEP 381 rather than start from scratch.