[Catalog-sig] PEP 381 Sample/Reference Implementation, Mirroring PyPI Meta Data

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 01:31:47 CET 2010

2010/1/13 ssteinerX at gmail.com <ssteinerx at gmail.com>:

> On Jan 12, 2010, at 6:35 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>
>>> So...it seems that Tarek thinks the z3c.pypimirror implements the
>>> eventual protocol and Martin is just planning on writing "it" from
>>> scratch himself.
>>
>> Yes, Tarek is probably not convinced that z3c.pypimirror is not a
>> good starting point. I may be actually wrong in assuming that it is
>> better to start from scratch.

Frankly I don't know.  z3c.pypimirror provides the piece of code that
browses the changelog, and that
can be reused. But there's more stuff to do to implement 381, and it
depends a lot on the
implementation strategy : a mirror is a web application so they are a
thousand ways to implement it. In particular in the way to publish
download hits. PyPI scans Apache logs to sums them.

[..]
>> As for the protocol, I think the PEP says it all.
>
> I'm sure this is clever but it must just be too subtle for me.
>
> Uh...Tarek?

Are you coming at Pycon ? I can show you what we've done and the
principles. Or drop by irc

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org