[Catalog-sig] PyPI down?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 18:25:47 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Jannis Leidel <jannis at leidel.info> wrote:
> Am 11.01.2010 um 22:22 schrieb Tarek Ziadé:
>>> Yup, nothing out of the ordinary... oh well, I guess it is just me and I'll
>>> wait and hope things get better ;-)
>>
>> If we have time at Pycon, and if some folks are interested, I would
>> like to finish the implementation of PEP 381,
>
> FWIW, I don't see the PEP to be completed. The actual mirror protocol, how to handle multiple (unsynchronized) indexes and the API design are clearly undecided -- and not discussed.

If by "unsynchronized" you mean handling mutiple indexes one client
side that are not mirrors, that's not a protocol the PEP defines.
(even though it gives some info on it)
This is the business of the client software, and there's no API design
required for that in this PEP.

The PEP defines the mirroring protocol and the pages to be maintained
in a PyPI like server.

>> and if some folks in the Pip team are interested, see if we can
>> develop a clisent-side geolocalisation
>> thingie to pick the closest PyPI mirror.
>
> Sadly I won't make it to this year's Pycon,
>even though I would be very interested in adding mirror support to pip (beyond --find-links and --index).

Too bad :/