[Catalog-sig] PyPI and PEP 381

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 20:40:29 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:19 PM, Jannis Leidel <jannis at leidel.info> wrote:
[...]
> Why not? The ping from PyPI to the mirrors would simply tell them to ask PyPI for updates since the last time they were updated. In case a ping doesn't reach a mirror it'll get updated next time it receives a ping.

So in that case, a ping would not be specific to a project at PyPI
being updated, but just to notice that  CHANGELOG has changed ?

>> So why bother setting up two different update systems ? each mirror
>> can look at the CHANGELOG every minute or so and get updated on their
>> side.
>
> I'm not proposing two update systems. IMO, there is a difference between the message "package was updated" and the actual mirroring of the package following that message. Each are most useful when combined of course, but the messaging shouldn't be limited to be used only by the mirroring.

If PyPI calls other servers for something else than reading the stats,
it should be a call that returns instantly (with a very fast timeout
as well). In that case, I think it could be done technically.

But yet, I don't really see the use case: what is the big difference
of having PyPI ping you, let's say, ten times per hour, and you
looking if the changelog has changed once every ten minutes ?

What is the usage ? mirrors will always be a bit unsynchronized, since
a mirroring protocol is not a real-time synchronization system. A
one-hour lag is acceptable here.

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org