[Catalog-sig] PyPI and PEP 381

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Tue Jan 19 00:22:56 CET 2010

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 00:07:27 +0100, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>
wrote:

> Thanks. Now I would need two things:
> 1. a public statement by somebody that this is the protocol they would
>    actually want to use. I still don't see the need for mirroring, so
>    I would provide it independent of mirroring.

There are consumers for this sure.

Linux package maintainers, custom python distributions etc.

> 2. a recommendation what specific hub to use. I would prefer not to run
>    my own, let alone implementing a hub as part of PyPI (although
>    contributions are welcome).

Jabberd as an example is not overly complex to setup or administer.

You can control access with username/password pairs. Or allow self
registration.

> I would then probably setup an RSS feed of the last hour of changes,
> and arrange to ping the hub.

RSS are always open HTTP connections.

There is no need to ping. When there is new information it is
just written out on the socket.

Perphaps you could accomplish everything that you want with
RSS.

The "community" would be more impressed with a jabberd style
implementation as it can enable two-way communication.

Two-way communication could enable testbot and package testing
to take place. Spread around the community.

So in a way, two-way communication could really "open-up"
pypi and reduce the amount of time on your part that it
takes to maintain.

David