[Catalog-sig] PyPI and PEP 381

Justin Lilly justin at justinlilly.com
Tue Jan 19 03:35:03 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 9:24 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>wrote:

> >> Which one specifically?
> >
> > Linux package maintainers could find a use for it because they
> > could more quickly get updates from package maintainers. Specifically,
> > any distro that repackages from pypi.
> >
> > Custom Distributions : ActiveState
> >
> > Also, end users. Even end users could read a package feed from
> > pypi and it could enable an update. That would be good for python 3.
>
> I'm giving up. Who, inside ActiveState, have you talked to who said
> that ActiveState wants to use pubsubhubbub for receiving change
> notifications from PyPI? I suppose the answer is "Nobody" - you
> are just *assuming* that ActiveState may want to use pubsubhubbub.

If I might, I, as a community member, would like to use pubsubhubbub. I've
had 2 occasions on projects where it would have proven useful, both needed
to be notified of updates to specific packages, but had nothing directly to
do with downloading and installing packages.

What does that count for?

 -justin