[Catalog-sig] PyPI and PEP 381

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Jan 19 13:51:37 CET 2010

On 19 Jan, 2010, at 13:15, ssteinerX at gmail.com wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2010, at 9:48 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>
>>> If I might, I, as a community member, would like to use pubsubhubbub.
>>> I've had 2 occasions on projects where it would have proven useful, both
>>> needed to be notified of updates to specific packages, but had nothing
>>> directly to do with downloading and installing packages.
>>>
>>> What does that count for?
>>
>> It's a starting point - are you also willing to test some infrastructure
>> that I would set up (say, within the next week or so)?
>
> I can test it on the receiving end; I'm working on packaging up my pymetamirror package and putting the results on S3.
>
> It'd be cool to have it get notifications of what to download instead of doing a date based pull as is the current setup.

The date-based pulling would IMO be more robust when there can be intermittent connection problems (when your mirror is temporarily down, or there is some network problem).

BTW. the payload for the proposed '/update' URL on mirrors isn't strictly necessary, but could be treated as a hint to perform an update in the near future.

That said, pushing updates to mirrors is probably overkill, CPAN's FAQ says that updating the mirror once a day is good enough (<http://www.cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html#How_mirror_CPAN>).

Ronald