[Catalog-sig] [PSF-Board] Troubled by changes to PyPI usage agreement

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 22:34:08 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 8:06 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>> Agreed. Until this issue is resolved we can't allow (public) third-party
>> mirrors. Given the recent adverse reactions to PyPi changes we should be
>> careful not to cause any further offense.
>
> Perhaps the PSF should start creating a list of official public
> mirrors. We would then need to add a mention of this to the PyPI
> usage license I posted.
>
> Setting up an official mirror would then require approval of the PSF
> and allow the PSF to monitor and maintain a good quality service.
> Package manager tools could then use the list of official mirrors
> to find a nearby mirror for downloading the package information.

That's basically what I've proposed in PEP 381 :

1/ the mirror maintainer proposes its mirror in the Catalog mailing-list
2/ if it's accepted, it's added in the list of IPs in the pypi DNS
3/ client tools like PIP develop a geloc feature to use the nearest
mirror, by getting the list of IPs

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0381/#how-a-client-can-use-pypi-and-its-mirrors

I could add in the PEP the fact that the mirror has to be accepted by the PSF

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org