[Catalog-sig] [PSF-Board] Troubled by changes to PyPI usage agreement

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Jan 20 23:01:18 CET 2010

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 8:06 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> Steve Holden wrote:
>>> Agreed. Until this issue is resolved we can't allow (public) third-party
>>> mirrors. Given the recent adverse reactions to PyPi changes we should be
>>> careful not to cause any further offense.
>> Perhaps the PSF should start creating a list of official public
>> mirrors. We would then need to add a mention of this to the PyPI
>> usage license I posted.
>>
>> Setting up an official mirror would then require approval of the PSF
>> and allow the PSF to monitor and maintain a good quality service.
>> Package manager tools could then use the list of official mirrors
>> to find a nearby mirror for downloading the package information.
>
> That's basically what I've proposed in PEP 381 :
>
> 1/ the mirror maintainer proposes its mirror in the Catalog mailing-list
> 2/ if it's accepted, it's added in the list of IPs in the pypi DNS
> 3/ client tools like PIP develop a geloc feature to use the nearest
> mirror, by getting the list of IPs
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0381/#how-a-client-can-use-pypi-and-its-mirrors
>
> I could add in the PEP the fact that the mirror has to be accepted by the PSF
>
> Tarek

Given the situation last time we had mirrors (though not of PyPi) it
would be useful to have some automated monitoring. They get stale very
quickly if nobody stays on top of them, and a stale mirror is worse than
no mirror at all.

What can we do to establish and maintain the right attitude?

regards
 Steve
PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010  http://us.pycon.org/