[Catalog-sig] [PSF-Board] Troubled by changes to PyPI usage agreement

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 23:13:51 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:01 PM, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
[..]

> Given the situation last time we had mirrors (though not of PyPi) it
> would be useful to have some automated monitoring. They get stale very
> quickly if nobody stays on top of them, and a stale mirror is worse than
> no mirror at all.
>
> What can we do to establish and maintain the right attitude?

Since each mirror has to maintain a "last modified" page that is the
date of the last
update, we could discard mirrors that are lagging too much and too often.

Of course, there's also a human dimension : we suppose that the people
running the mirror are people we can trust because they can
technically do malicious things in the mirror since we don't really
have any real protection (*yet*). I don't know how this trust can be
measured...

Regards
Tarek